Placemaking can help improve Beaufort Street
Placemaking turns empty spaces we avoid in to places where people love to meet, relax and enjoy life.
The Beaufort Street Network has prepared an Action Plan to create a better Beaufort Street. It’s really all about creating better places for people. You can find out more about the Action Plan on this page – https://beaufortstreet.com.au/better-beaufort-action-plan/.
Here are our top 12 placemaking tips.
1. Find a space to work with, but think outside the square
2. Show that someone cares about the space. This builds community pride and confidence.
3. Make people feel comfortable and welcome
4. Slow the flow of people down the street. Remember – people attract people.
5. Extend your business on to the street and create interesting things to see
6. Create places that are ‘photo-worthy’
7. Great places don’t just happen. Someone needs to drive the change
8. Encourage people to stay twice as long on the street to boost vibrancy and activity
9. Create more economic and social exchanges to support local businesses and build community
10. Governments need to allow things to happen and not be overly bureaucratic
11. Deliver innovative quick wins
12. Have fun!
What are the outcomes of placemaking?
- 50% is the physical result of improving a space
- 50% is the change in thinking & collaborative process
Find out how Adelaide used placemaking to help create a new image for the city and attract visitors